Advancement Program ManagerCompany: Norfolk Christian Schools
Date Posted: June 16, 2017
Advancement Program Manager
Norfolk Christian Schools
History of Norfolk Christian Schools
Norfolk Christian Schools (NCS) was established in 1952 with the mission “to equip students spiritually, academically and physically to love God and serve Him as Christ’s ambassadors in the world”. This mission guides everything we do for students in pre-K through twelfth grades at our three campuses, consisting of an upper school in Norfolk and lower schools in both Norfolk and Virginia Beach. NCS is a non-denominational, private Christian school serving families in Southside Hampton Roads, the Peninsula and Southeast North Carolina. NCS partners with the family and church to bring the excellence and truth of scripture into every aspect of student life, be it academics, the arts, athletics, extra-curricular or social.
General Job Description
The Advancement Program Manager works under the direction of the Director of Advancement, assisting in planning and managing the implementation of NCS fundraising programs. A successful candidate will embrace the school’s mission and Christian values and advance them through day-to-day functions that support strategic goals. This individual will be adept in technology applications, especially those required for the collection, analysis and reporting of data and information. He or she will be motivated by a dynamic environment and work well independently but also collaboratively as a member of multiple teams. In addition, the Advancement Program Manager will foster strong donor relationships and advise on fundraising best practices.
- Prepare clear and concise donor and gift reports for Advancement, Head of School and in support of business operations, primarily using Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Excel.
- Identify, conduct and synthesize research to identify donor prospects, create donor profiles and determine funding sources, presenting findings in layman’s terms.
- Create, proof, and mail letters, invitations, e-newsletters, social media posts, and personal notes and communicate effectively with individuals or groups of donors.
- Recruit and organize volunteers for donor nurturing events and phone-a-thon.
- Prepare and maintain required Virginia Department of Education reports for Neighborhood Assistance Program and Education Improvement Scholarship Tax Credits Program.
- Enter data and maintain spreadsheets for tracking of advancement programs.
- Timely response by phone and email to day-to-day donor and stakeholder inquiries.
- Make personal contact with current and potential donors to schedule donor meetings and solicitations with the Director of Advancement and Head of School.
- Use donor research to recommend individual and business donor targets and with the Director of Advancement develop a plan of action for each.
- Assist in the implementation of the following NCS program plans: Capital Campaign, Annual Fund, Worthy Servants, scholarship funds and alumni relations. Collaborate with the Head of School, Business Office, Marketing and Communications Director and campus Principals to meet program goals, deadlines and benchmarks.
- Foster strong communications and working relationships with other NCS departments, faculty, staff, Board and Head of School.
- With support from marketing and communications, develop and create printed material including prospect proposals, fund brochures, Annual Report, newsletters, Ambassador magazine content and mail campaigns.
- Effectively manage special events related to fundraising activities including donor nurturing events, Legacy Luncheon, alumni homecoming tailgate, winter alumni basketball game and reception and the annual John Elder Classic golf tournament. Act as parent volunteer liaison in regards to events.
- Closely follow policy and procedures regarding confidential records and maintain even higher personal standards of confidentiality. Recommend and aids in the development of new fundraising policy and procedures.
- Maintain the Support section of the school website for up to date and accurate information using WordPress.
- Develop and implement email solicitation campaigns.
- Represent the school at various school and community functions.
Education – Bachelors Degree or above
Experience – prior successful experience in program management, non-profit fundraising, or private education. Donor database experience, particularly Raiser’s Edge, is strongly preferred with an ability to learn new software quickly and effectively.
Interpersonal skills – Interacts positively and graciously with a wide range of personalities, both individually and in groups. Displays optimism, confidence and calmness while problem solving and providing customer service that exceeds expectations.
Technology aptitude – Understands and utilizes multiple technology platforms including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, Apple and Android based applications, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Education Edge, photo/camera applications, social media and web-based tools for research, data collection and reporting.
Conducting research – Effectively utilizes primary and secondary sources to learn new facts and is naturally inquisitive, determined and creative in searching for information.
Information analysis – Experience in and ability to consolidate and organize information into reports that are easily reviewed and analyzed; ability to evaluate data and make recommendations in accordance with policy, goals and deadlines.
Communication – Communicates clearly and effectively with the Head of School, Director of Advancement, other department heads and co-workers, parents, donors, foundation representatives and other stakeholders orally and in writing. Is confident in conducting group presentations and running meetings.
Collaboration – Experience in dynamic work environments where success is highly dependent on interaction and planning with multiple departments and individuals.
Initiative – Self-motivated individual with demonstrated initiative; will proactively identify opportunities and put forward ideas & solutions. Seeks professional development and feedback towards ongoing performance improvement.
Planning/organizing – Effectively prioritizes and plans work activities; proficiency in the development of realistic action plans and maintenance of a system of records and files that ensures a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
Time Management – Effectively manages time for greatest efficiency; has the ability to work toward multiple deadlines.
Dependability – Is consistent and punctual with good response to management direction while demonstrating accuracy, thoroughness and effort.
- Office environment includes working with computers and using the telephone extensively.
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
- Requires limited lifting of boxes and supplies related to special events.
- Must drive a vehicle and travel to various functions in vehicles or other transportation.
Norfolk Christian Schools offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Interested individuals should forward a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Human Resources, email@example.com by July 7, 2017.